Munslow Parish Council Precept
Munslow Parish Council
When you receive your Council Tax bill each Spring you will notice a section entitled ‘Munslow Parish Council’. It will indicate the amount of money requested and allocated to run the Council for that year (the Parish Precept) along with the percentage increase from the previous year. Over the last two years Munslow Parish Council have not increased the Parish Precept in recognition of the difficult financial circumstances being experienced by so many people. However, due to the increase in inflation and the tasks being undertaken by the Council, it has been found necessary to increase the Precept for 2023-24. As a result, the Council Tax bill you will receive in Spring 2024 will show a percentage increase in the region of 18%. This means an increase of 56p per month for a band D property.
It is important for all parishioners to know and understand how this money is spent and how active Munslow Parish Council are on their behalf. To give an idea of this, here are some of the actions taken by the Council over the last couple of years.
- The purchase of 3 vehicle activated signs (VAS) which operate along the B4368.
- The maintenance of a defibrillator, located in Munslow.
- The employment of an Environmental Maintenance Officer, tasked to clear drains and cut verges on the side roads (not the B4368).
- Maintenance of the closed burial ground in Munslow. The burial ground has an ash tree which will eventually need to be felled when it succumbs to Ash Dieback, the Parish Council needs to set aside money for this work.
- The maintenance of a website (a legal requirement) and a Facebook page, so parishioners know what is happening regarding the Parish Council.
This is not an exhaustive list, as Munslow Parish Council also reviews planning applications; are in discussions with Shropshire Council about speed reduction on the B4368; have just renewed the lease on The Beambridge Clubroom. It holds a small reserve to cover the repairs and replacement of notice boards, Vehicle Activate Sign and Defibrillator batteries etc. and fees for elections and audits. The Council holds at least ten meetings per year which members of the public are welcome to attend. All the councillors are volunteers and are supported by just one paid member of staff, the Clerk, who is responsible for ensuring the Parish Council follows its legal and financial obligations.
Heather Coonick Clerk and Responsible Finance Officer
Find Munslow Parish Council
Hopton Gate Cottage, Haytons Bent, Munslow, Craven Arms, Shropshire, SY8 2BE